Rules Systems

This is where you can talk about anything else... at least that's vaguely related to Armourfast kits!
Captain Scarlet

Rules Systems

Post by Captain Scarlet » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 am

Hi

Curious to know what rules systems are in favour eg Chain of Command, Tanks etc.

What are your faves and why?

Cheers

captainzlog

Re: Rules Systems

Post by captainzlog » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:14 pm

I discovered the Battlegroup system years ago and have been playing it ever since as it's the only one I've ever found that rewards real world tactics (and punishes anachronistic ones!), is simple to learn but provides an enjoyable, quite realistic game :)

Armourfast-Colin

Post by Armourfast-Colin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:41 pm

We use a set written by one of the club members which we "adopt, adapt & improve" as we see fit...
The problem is, of course, that the more you read about WW2 fighting, you realise that, at least in terms of the Brits, that whilst a Division may attack, at the sharp end, it's probably no more than 6 or 8 sections of men moving forward - usually towards (at least in Normandy) well placed MG42s... and so to get anywhere, you have to make use of the immense firepower that came with Field & Heavy artillery & RAF and also, in the early days following D Day, the Royal Navy - all of which can make for a very boring game... so we tend to "up" the infantry that goes into the attack (giving the possibility that a couple of chaps might survive) & reduce the impact of Arty - less realistic, but a more enjoyable (or frustrating, depending on your point of view!) game.
Also, we're redoing our vehicle/tanks stats at the moment... in the initial rules that we use, Steve (who wrote them) combined armour thickness, size and speed into defence values... which gave some interesting results - Jeeps were brilliant!! So as I've found an enormous spreadsheet online produced by a chap who's converted everything into 90 degree equivalents (both thickness of armour & gun penetration) I'm converting that for our use. So, in future, whilst a jeep might be hard to hit (small & occasionally fast moving, target) if it does get hit, it has bugger all chance of being saved. Also, we take the view that any gun had the possibility of causing damage, so, for example, a Stuart with a 37mm gun could "kill" a Tiger - in our games, "kill" doesn't necessarily mean destroy, but more out of action... so, for example, the 37mm shell jams a turret, or hits a vital piece of piping on the outside of the hull... enough to make the guys inside think... "staying here isn't healthy"

Gjalp

Post by Gjalp » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:36 am

Hi everyone, just signed up,again, and have been using the rules available from Armourfast themselves called Tanks. It’s a very simple to play game, but the beauty of it is the way you set terrain on the table and how you manoeuvre your tanks. Played 4 games in a row and each game was a blast, lots of fun and dice rolling! I also play WW2 Spearhead, and Crossfire. Has anyone else tried this set? I’m currently making some more building s and terrain for out next games 😉

Armourfast-Colin

Post by Armourfast-Colin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Welcome back!
We use the "Tanks" rules for some of our participation games at shows. Easy to explain & play - and give similar outcomes to more complex sets!! :lol:

Gjalp

Post by Gjalp » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome....been a while 😉 I noticed I too was getting more fun and enjoyment out this set of rules than Iwas with the more “complex” sets. Do you know if there are any updates for this set....like vehicles for the new models being released? I liked the rules so much I developed 5 scenarios straight after the games!

Armourfast-Colin

Post by Armourfast-Colin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi,
Not aware of any updates - we just add the new tanks ourselves :lol: